Submission Preparation Checklist
As part of the submission process, authors are required to check their submission's compliance with all of the following items, and submissions may be returned to authors that do not adhere to these guidelines.
- The submission has not been previously published, nor is it before another journal for consideration (or an explanation has been provided in Comments to the Editor).
- The submission file is in Microsoft Word document file format.
- The text uses standard typefaces (such as Times New Roman), is set no smaller than 12pt, is double-spaced (including quotations and notes). There has not been used any special alignment or spacing. The text uses footnotes rather than endnotes.
- The text adheres to the stylistic and bibliographic requirements outlined in the Author Guidelines.
- If submitting to a peer-reviewed section of the journal, the instructions for Blind Review have been followed (see the Author Guidelines).
- Where available, DOIs for the references have been provided.
- If the text includes illustrations, the author has secured permission to reproduce them.
We kindly ask all authors to follow these basic guidelines when preparing your manuscript for submission:
Manuscripts should be submitted as Word files by e-mail attachment. Please include on a separate cover sheet an abstract of a maximum of 150 words and a short biographical note on the author.
The Nordic Journal of Aesthetics prefers to publish articles that do not exceed 7500 words (not including abstract and references), though in certain cases exceptions may be made. Book notes should not normally exceed 1500 words, book reviews 5000 words, and review essays 7500 words.
Please keep manuscript formatting simple. Authors should use standard typefaces (such as Times New Roman) set no smaller than 12pt, and double-spaced (including quotations and notes). Please do not use special alignment or spacing. Please use footnotes rather than endnotes. All quotations from a language other than English must be translated. The original quotation can be included in the footnotes.
Style for in-text citation and references
Manuscripts should be written according to the specifications of The Chicago Manual of Style 17th edition. Please carefully follow the format found here: www.chicagomanualofstyle.org.
All submissions that are not invited will be subjected to blind review. Please remove any indication of authors’ identities from your submission. This includes names listed in document headers, on the attached cover sheet, in the filename, or in file metadata. After removing any identifying details from the document text and properties, please remember to re-save your file using only the title of your submission as the filename.
It is the responsibility of the author to secure permission to reproduce all illustrations. Documentation of permission should be attached to the submission.
The Nordic Journal of Aesthetics regularly publishes issues compiled by guest-editors, e.g., in connection with a conference. Potential guest-editors should make an initial proposal to the editors including a title, detailed thematic outline, and suggested contributors.
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See The Effect of Open Access).
The names and email addresses entered in this journal site will be used exclusively for the stated purposes of this journal and will not be made available for any other purpose or to any other party.